County Council Recognitions
Click on photos for a larger image
New Green Business Member Recognized
At the October 29, 2013 Council Meeting, Amanda Edwards, Solid Waste Management Recycling Coordinator, inducted a new organization into the Green Business Certification Program - Larry Hutto State Farm. Pictured: Amanda Edwards, Lexington County Recycling Coordinator and Tim Oxley with Larry Hutto State Farm.
State Championship Winners Recognized
At the August 27, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council recognized student athletic teams and individuals from around the county who won state championship titles during the 2012-2013 school year.
Lexington School District One
- Lexington High School Varsity Baseball Team coached by Brian Hucks
- Lexington High School Girls Golf Team coached by Brandon Smith
- Lexington High School Wrestling Team and Individual titles – 113 lbs Champion: Jackson Myers; 120 lbs Champion Andy Szalwinski; 220 lbs Champion Nate Meagher; all coached by Derek Strobel
- Lexington High School Boys & Girls Cross Country Teams coached by Bailey Harris **(unable to attend due to practice)
- Lexington High School Individual Track and Field titles: Boys 1600 meter Zach Langston; Boys 200 meter Curtis Walker; Boys 400 meter Curtis Walker; Girls 4/800 Relay – Bari Robinson, Meri Heneage, Katelin Killman, Haylee Love; Girls 1600 meter Haylee Love; all coached by Matt Oberly **(unable to attend due to cross country practice)
- Pelion High School individual Track and Field title by: Aubrey Hite coached by Mark Bedenbaugh
- White Knoll High School 4A Heavyweight Wrestling Title - Patton Gossett, coached by Danny Crotts
Lexington School District Two
- Airport High School Individual Cross Country title by: Meghan Stahlberger, coached by Paul Drohomirecky **(unable to attend as Meghan is at Clemson University)
- Airport High School JROTC state title coached by drill instructor: Sgt Major Harry Ferguson
- Brookland Cayce High School Individual Wrestling title by: 113 lb 3A Champion De’Onte Patterson, coached by Craig Watts
Lexington School District Three
- Batesburg-Leesville High School Individual Track and Field titles by Megan Goodson and Kaliyah Andrews coached by Gary Adams **(unable to attend as Megan is at North Greenville University and Kaliyah is at Limestone College)
Lexington School District Five
- Chapin High School Varsity Cheerleading coached by Vicki Williams
- Dutch Fork High School Varsity Girls Basketball team coached by Faye Norris
- Irmo High School Boys Varsity Basketball Team coached by Tim Whipple
- Irmo High School Boys Varsity Soccer Team coached by Phil Savitz
New Green Business Members Recognized
At the July 23, 2013 Council Meeting, Synithia Williams, Public Works Environmental Coordinator, and Amanda Edwards, Solid Waste Management Recycling Coordinator, inducted two new organizations into the Green Business Certification Program - Collins & Burkett Law Firm, LLC and Amar Enterprises, LLC.
American Lung Association Recognitions
At the June 25, 2013 Council Meeting, Melissa Goforth, American Lung Association Area Manager, presented special recognitions to Lexington County Fire Service and a Lexington County Resident. Ms. Goforth presented the Highest Firefighter Fundraiser Award to Lexington County Fire Service for the American Lung Association’s 2013 Fight for Air Climb Columbia. Ms. Goforth also presented a Special Recognition to Shannon Nord from the American Lung Association in SC.
Eagle Scout Brandon Mack Awarded Coin of Excellence
At the June 11, 2013 Council Meeting, Brandon Mack, an Eagle Scout from BSA Troop 307, was awarded the Public Safety Director’s Coin of Excellence for his leadership and positive example during an evacuation at an independent senior living facility. Brandon voluntarily assisted residents during and after the evacuation.
Photo from left to right: David Kerr, Lexington County Public Safety Director; Brandon Mack; Robert Sears, Scout Master; Thomas Mack, father; Lt. James Forsythe, Lexington County EMS.
Lexington County Fallen Heroes
At the May 28, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council honored and recognized the supreme sacrifice made by our brave heroes and expressed to their families the profound appreciation of a grateful County for their lives, sacrifice, and service.
Lexington County Fallen Heroes Resolution
Wilkins Named Lexington County Economic Development Ambassador
At the May 28, 2013 Council Meeting, Robert Wilkins, Jr. was awarded the Lexington County Economic Development Ambassador of 2012 by County Council and Chuck Whipple, Economic Development Director.
County Presented 2012 SCAC Safety Achievement Award
At the May 14, 2013 Council Meeting, John Henderson, South Carolina Association of Counties (SCAC) Risk Manager, presented the County the 2012 SCAC "Safety Achievement Award." The Solid Waste Management Department was presented the award for their accomplishments during 2012 for their departmental safety program.
Photo from left to right: D.J. Yandle, Collection Station Coordinator; Tom Harmalik, Deputy SWM Director; Edward Salyer, Safety & Training Manager; John Henderson, SCAC Risk Manager; Michelle Johnson, HEO III; and Dave Eger, SWM Director.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Public Servant Awards
At the April 23, 2013 Council Meeting:
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Public Servant Awards – Each year the VFW recognizes Public Servants for their exceptional efforts to serve in our communities. Hugh Gunter, Commander VFW Post 8738 (Lexington); and Rod Burne, Senior Vice Commander, VFW State Representative presented awards to:
1. Battalion Captain David Dorroh was selected as the Lexington County VFW Post and the South Carolina State Post Fire Fighter of the Year.
2. Detective Brian Travis was selected as the Lexington County VFW Post, the South Carolina State Post and the National Post Law Enforcement Officer of the Year.
3. Sergeant Vito Cosola was selected as the Lexington County VFW Post and the South Carolina State Post Emergency Medical Technician of the Year.
Captain David Dorroh
Detective Brian Travis
Sergeant Vito Cosola
Volunteer Arbitrators Recognized
At the April 23, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council recognized the Volunteer Arbitrators of the Lexington County Solicitor’s Juvenile Arbitration Program during National Volunteer Week, April 21 – April 27, as exceptional community citizens.
Health Services District Board Members Recognized
At the April 23, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council recognized Elizabeth L. Shockley, Billy R. Oswald and J. Larry Stroud for the tremendous job they have done during their tenure for the Lexington County Health Services District, Inc. Board of Directors, the County, and the citizens of Lexington County.
Elizabeth L. Shockley
Billy R. Oswald
J. Larry Stroud
John Fechtel Recognized for 25 Years of Service
At the April 23, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council expressed its appreciation and gratitude to John J. Fechtel for twenty-five years of service to Lexington County and its citizens.
March Proclaimed American Red Cross Month
At the March 12, 2013 Council Meeting, Councilwoman Debbie Summers presented Ms. Paula Thayer of the American Red Cross a resolution proclaiming the month of March 2013 as AMERICAN RED CROSS MONTH in Lexington County. Lexington County will observe this month in conjunction with the nationally recognized event and in honor and recognition of our local Red Cross and the vital contributions they make to the well being of our citizens.
Bi-Lo Recognized for Donation
At the March 12, 2013 Council Meeting, Greg Cupstid, Store Manager of a local Bi-Lo, was recognized by the Wellness Committee for his generous donation of over 1,300 bananas to the County of Lexington for the County’s celebration of National Eating Healthy Day on November 7th, 2012. His donation allowed the County to give one banana to each employee.
Photo from left to right: Neal Bomnadeat, Assistant Manager - Bi-Lo; Lori Adler, HR Director; Greg Cupstid, Store Manager - Bi-Lo; Wellness Committee members: Janice Telfair, JoLynn Hinz, and Ryant Johnson.
Sheriff Metts Honored by Council
At the January 22, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Council honored Sheriff James R. Metts for his four decades of distinguished service as Lexington County’s chief law enforcement officer.
Lexington County Receives Utility Tax Credit Funds
At the January 22, 2013 Council Meeting, a presentation was made by Spirit Communications and PalmettoNet giving Utility Tax Credit Funds to the County of Lexington to support economic development in Lexington County.
Spare the Air Calendar Contest Winners Announced
At the January 22, 2013 Council Meeting, Synithia Williams, Environmental Coordinator, presented the 2013 Spare the Air Calendar Contest Winners.
Lexington County Fire Services Receives Award
At the January 8, 2013 Council Meeting, Lexington County Fire Services was recognized for receiving an award from the Midlands Workforce Development Board (MWDB) for their outstanding use of assessments for talent management and their strong partnership with the MWDB. Receiving the award (photo left to right) was Council Chairman Bill Banning, Fire Service Training Officer Glenn Williams, Fire Service Assistant Chief Eddie Turner and Reggie Murphy, Chairman of the MWDB.
2012 Council Recognitions