Tips to Reduce Air Pollution
The Environmental Protection Agency Provides the Following Tips to Reduce Your Effect On Air Pollution:
You can help reduce pollution by following these guidelines, which are especially important when ozone is expected to be unhealthy:
- Conserve electricity and set your air conditioner at a higher temperature.
- Choose a cleaner commute—share a ride to work or use public transportation. Bicycle or walk to errands when possible.
- Defer use of gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment until after 6 p.m.
- Refuel cars and trucks after dusk.
- Combine errands and reduce trips.
- Limit engine idling.
- Use household, workshop, and garden chemicals in ways that keep evaporation to a minimum, or try to delay using them when poor air quality is forecast.
Likewise, when the particle pollution level is expected to be unhealthy, you can help reduce pollution with these actions:
- Reduce the number of trips you take in your car.
- Reduce or eliminate fireplace and wood stove use.
- Avoid using gas-powered lawn and garden equipment.
- Avoid burning leaves, trash and other materials.