Solid Waste Management (SWM) Department
The Solid Waste Management Department is responsible for:
- Managing franchised curbside collection in
unincorporated areas of Lexington County;
- Operating 11 Collection and Recycling Centers for
Lexington County residents;
- Running the Edmund Landfill and Transfer Station;
- Maintaining three closed landfills in Lexington County;
- Supervising litter clean-up on roadways, highways, and
- Increasing and improving recycling efforts;
Provide quality services to our citizens at a reasonable cost.
Planned growth for our communities with abundant opportunities for all in a quality environment.
If you live in Lexington County, download our free app called Lexington County SC Solid Waste from your mobile store or click here --> < SOLID WASTE App >
Know Before You Throw!
Download our app or click here --> <Waste Wizard> to use our Waste Wizard. Enter any item to find out how and where to recycle or discard it.
If you live in an unincorporated area of Lexington County (i.e. outside the limits of a town)...
Use the App to:
- Search an address to view your collection schedule;
- Print your collection schedule;
- Sign up for notifications by email, phone, or text message; and
- Find out how to recycle or discard of any item.
Current News and Events
2018 Special Recycling Event Schedule
Recycling collection events are open to all Lexington County residents. Individuals are encouraged to bring electronics, paper to be shred and other items as specified for each location (such as household hazardous waste, tires, and pesticides). Commercial drop offs will not be accepted. See the event flyer for dates, locations and more information.
Next Recycling Collection Event - August 18
Lexington County residents, bring your electronics and paper to be shred to Forts Pond Elementary School located at 7350 Fish Hatchery Rd, Pelion, SC 29123 on Saturday, August 18th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. See the event flyer for more information.
Congratulations New Midlands Green Businesses
The following Lexington County businesses are making an effort to protect our environment by conserving water and energy, protecting the quality of our air and by reducing waste/recycling. If you have a green business too or want to learn more about the Midlands Green Business program, contact Traude Sander, Recycling Coordinator, at (803) 785-3340 or email@example.com.
- AllCaregivers, Inc. - Lexington
- Augusta Highway Self Storage - Lexington
- Dust-to-Dust Green Burial/Nature Reserve Cemetery LLC - Swansea
- Jumper Carter Sease Architects - West Columbia
- Matrx Coaching, LLC - West Columbia
- Prysmian Cables and Systems - Lexington
- Silly's Snoballs - West Columbia
- Wingards Lawn Care - Leesville
Clean Wood Compost & Mulch For Sale
Prepare your yard for spring and summer and support Lexington County's recycling efforts by buying:
1 - Colored, termite-treated mulch for $2/bag or $45/ton,
2 - Uncolored, untreated mulch for $10/ton,
3 - Clean wood, certified compost for $2/bag or $10/ton,
4 - 80 gal backyard compost bins for $40 each
All items are available at Lexington County's Edmund Landfill located at 498 Landfill Ln, Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. The landfill closes at 4:30 p.m. so we ask that you arrive by 4 p.m. to load up. For more information, call (803) 755-3325.
Email for Reporting Littered Roadways
Help us clean up Lexington County roadways, highways and waterways. If you see an area with excessive litter, email location details to ReportLitter@lex-co.com. Lexington County’s new Solid Waste Management Litter Crew will work to clean it up. Responses will not be sent from the automated email system but requests will be noted and added to the crew's work schedule.