Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

Lexington County Administration Building is open to the Public Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m


Discharge Information

Copies of military discharges are available to the discharged Veteran, next of kin, or legal representative if filed with the Veterans Affairs Office.


Copies which are not available from the Lexington County Veterans Affairs Office may be obtained from:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis. MO 63138

Using a SF Form 180. (The form may be obtained from the Lexington County Veterans Affairs Office or Archives: Veterans


Veterans are encouraged to record their military discharges (DD-214) with the Veterans Affairs Office. The original is returned to the Veteran and certified copies can be made if needed.

DD214s were issued after 1950. Prior to 1950, discharges were known as a WD AGO form.  DD214s recorded in the past at the Lexington County Courthouse are now located in our office.

If you are unable to locate a discharge for a WWII Veteran or surviving spouse, we have WWII Roster books with discharge information in the office.  This book is only good for WWII Veterans that entered service from South Carolina.  The VA will accept the information contained in this book as discharge information.


Discharge Corrections and Upgrades

For Discharge Corrections, DD Form 149 (PDF), Application for Correction of Military or Naval Record, must be used to apply for correction of military records.  It should be submitted, along with supporting evidence, to one of the review boards listed below:

Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA)
ATTN:  Client Information and Quality Assurance
Arlington, VA  22202-4508
(703) 607-1600

Board for Correction of Naval Records
2 Navy Annex, Room 2432
Washington, DC  20370-5100
(703) 614-1402

Board for Correction of Military Records (C-60)
Room 4100
400 7th Street SW
Washington, DC  20590
(202) 366-9335

Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records
1535 Command Drive
EE Wing 3rd Floor
Andrews AFB, DC 20331-7002


For Military Upgrades, DD Form 293 (PDF), Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States, is the form that is used to request a military discharge upgrade. It should be submitted, along with supporting evidence, to one of the review boards listed below:

Army Discharge Review Board
Attention:  SFMR-RBB
1901 South Bell Street, 2nd Floor
Arlington, VA  22202-4508

Navy Discharge Review Board
801 North Randolph Street
Suite 905
Arlington, VA 22203

Air Force Military Personnel Center
Attention:  DP-MDOA1
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-6001

Attention:  GPE1
Washington, DC  20593 



For more information on Discharge Corrections or Upgrades, please visit the following branch of service websites: 


Navy and Marine Corp

Coast Guard

Air Force


Special Note:  
For Re-enlistment Code Changes:  There are a few ways to go about this.  The first is to seek an RE code change during a discharge upgrade.  The other is to request a change to your RE code when you apply to the Board of Corrections for Military Records for your branch of service.  Technically, you are seeking a correction based on an error or injustice rather than a change.